Your Meal Solution
Yesterday was a fairly mammoth day in terms of clients and sorting out IT problems and cleaning my new flat which the old tenants had left in a somewhat scum filled state.
I was pretty knackered, so when I saw the sign "Your Meal Solution" outside my local green grocer (Hamilton East Green Grocer), complete with an easy carpark out front I thought...ok then. Of course, it's just a fruit and veg shop, and I already knew this, but the sign promising it to provide my meal solution really sung to me and so I gave myself a challenge.
Could I, create my meal solution from this fruit and veg shop - the answer was yes, here's what I created. (This recipe is for one btw) Smokey Vegetarian Pasta served in "Scallop Shell" Lettuce.
Ingredients (from the Green Grocer):
- 1 nice bowl shaped lettuce leaf
- 3 florets of broccoli, chopped into very small pieces
- 1/4 avocado
- 1 slice of red onion (chopped up)
Ingredients (in my pantry):
- 50g vegetable pasta
- garlic powder
- Himalayan crystal salt
- smoked paprika
- tomato paste
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- Stirfry broccoli in olive oil until browned (semi chargrilled).
- Boil vege pasta in water, once cooked add to the broccoli pan
- Add to the pan 2 big tablespoons of tomato paste season with garlic powder, salt and smoked paprika cook through for about 30 seconds until all powders have dissolved
- (optional, add a couple of tablespoons of milk to 'cream' up the sauce)
- add chopped red onion and chopped avocado, quickly stir through and remove from heat Serve in lettuce bowl
This dish is fairly high in cals, but contains no gluten or wheat, no refined carbs, low in saturated fat and high in nutrients, so your body can process the meal easier.
Protein - 13.4g Fat - 26.4g Sat Fat - 4.2g Carbs - 46g Sugar - 6.2g
To drop the calories for your purposes, replace the avocado for other green veg. To drop the carbs and up the protein, replace some of the pasta for adzuki beans or lentils or add some non-vegetarian protein.
The whole idea of this meal is in the flavours - it's hard to notice all those veg when you've got your flavours right, and the semi chargrilling of the veg adds the smokey flavour to the dish along with the smoked paprika. The irony is that this meal was quicker to obtain, cook and prepare than my flatmate who opted for 3 packs of 2 minute noodles. And it was really filling.
So if you drive past a sign challenging you with a "meal solution"... go and take the challenge.